The Department of Journalism is in the privileged position of having a number of bursaries and awards on offer for its honours students (BPhil Journ), sponsored by the department and various media institutions.
The following bursaries are available to students:
- The Percy Qoboza scholarship to a student in the honours class (BPhil Journ) every year - sponsored by the department. Applications will only be accepted after the final class group for a particular year has been announced.
- The Aggrey Klaaste Bursary, co-sponsored by The Sowetan and the Department to a previously disadvantaged student in the honours class (BPhil Journ); apply to the Chair, Department of Journalism (see contact details). NB: you also need to send in your formal application form to the Registrar (see online application form) by 31 August
- Media24 sponsors a number of bursaries for (mostly previously disadvantaged) journalism students every year; apply directly to Media 24 (email@example.com). NB: you also need to send in your formal application form to the Registrar (see online application form) by 31 August
- Students can also apply to the Bursary Department of the University for merit bursaries, etc. See www.sun.ac.za.
For more information about any of the above bursaries, feel free to contact the department at +27 21 808-3488, firstname.lastname@example.org
BPhil Journ students can compete for the following awards every year:
- The Car prize, sponsored by Ramsay, Son & Parker for the year's top student;
- The Rowland Hill award - the Golden Pen - for the best in-depth project;
- The Piet Cillié prize for formulation and style;
- The Ton Vosloo prize for creativity and innovation;
- The photography prize for the best photography portfolio;
- The Christina Scott for Critical Thinking, sponsored by Prof G Claassen, former Chair and lecturer in Science & Technology Journalism
MA and PhD Journ students can apply for bursaries through the University's Bursary Department (see www.sun.ac.za).
MA Journ students compete for the following awards every year:
- The Golden Pen Award for the top Master's student