surgery :: Research
Research activity is largely clinically-orientated and occurs during normal service delivery. The workload of the Division is such that laboratory-based research cannot receive priority currently.
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis;
- Abdominal manifestations of HIV/AIDS;
- Colo-rectal carcinoma in young patients;
- Diagnosis of acute pancreatitis;
- Applicability and durability of endovascular management of arterial trauma;
- Clinician-interpreted mammography;
- Selective Non-operative management of abdominal trauma;
- Diagnosis of occult diaphragmatic injury;
- Crush syndrome, with particular reference to sjambok assault;
- Re-laparotomy in the ICU setting;
- Influence of HIV/AIDS in burn wound outcome.
Pharmaceutical trial research:
- Severe sepsis;
- Intra-abdominal and soft-tissue sepsis;
- Venous thrombo-embolism prophylaxis and management;
- Traumatic bleeding;
- Haemoglobin substitution;
- Novel therapies in the adjunctive management of breast cancer.
Back to top